Weather: An Immediate, Personalized Form Of Breaking News We Can All Learn From | Melody Joy Kramer

February 21, 2015 Weather: An Immediate, Personalized Form Of Breaking News We Can All Learn From It’s snowing in DC. I’m not going to write a long note today, but if you get a chance today, take a look at the Capital Weather Gang Twitter feed. You’ll notice that most of the information is crowdsourced from…

Read More

Detroit Walking Man Who Got $350,000 in Online Donations Forced to Move After Threats – The Root

The James Robertson story was supposed to have a happy ending. The story of the 56-year-old Detroit factory worker who walks 21 miles to and from work each day warmed the hearts of the nation after his tale of perseverance went viral. Some $350,000 was raised for Robertson—not to mention, a local Ford dealership gave him a brand-new…

Read More

On Landings, Soft and Otherwise, and Aggressive Lacks of Proportion – The New Inquiry

coins metadata inserted by kblog-metadata At some point Thursday, the title of Jon Ronson’s essay changed from “How One Stupid Tweet Ruined Justine Sacco’s Life” to “How One Stupid Tweet Blew Up Justine Sacco’s Life.” The change helps, because while “blew up” is figurative language—and thus, obviously not to be taken literally—the statement that Sacco’s life was…

Read More

The Cops Don’t Care About Violent Online Threats. What Do We Do Now?

I.“Hey Anna, do you like pizza?”I was just sitting down to dinner one evening this past November when I looked through some new Twitter notifications on my phone. My night, I realized regretfully, was about to get very, very stupid. The Twitter user was named “Davidkalac69,” the photo a white egg on a purple background….

Read More

Internet comment credibility study: Vaccine decisions influenced by online discussion.

“This guy says he’s a doctor, so maybe he’s right.” Photo by Monkey Business Images/Thinkstock. The best account on Twitter, without question, has just over 40,000 followers and doesn’t tweet anymore. It’s called Don’t Read Comments (@avoidcomments), and in its heyday it periodically tweeted things like “Nobody on their deathbed ever said, ‘I wish I…

Read More

How Salon tamed the trolls and saved its online comments

Online comments sections are a double-edged sword for publishers. For those trying to increase loyalty and engagement with readers, comments should be an essential part of an audience strategy. But all too often, they becomes a haven for trolls and spam. Meanwhile, Facebook and Twitter are becoming the new comments sections as people shift their online conversations…

Read More